Food Revolution Omelette Challenge
Engaging and inspiring people to learn about food and how to cook it is at the core of the Food Revolution initiative.
As a foodie we already know you love to cook, so this humble omelette challenge will be an easy task.
An omelette is the simplest dish to cook and can be extremely versatile to suit all tastes. It makes a nutritious quick & easy meal. Once you have the basic omelette recipe down pat, you can experiment with all sorts of flavours & fillings. Great for when you need to use up left over veggies.
The requirements for this challenge is to “create a healthy omelette that symbolises your nation through the ingredients and methods used to create it. All made with the best local eggs you can afford and your own, personally perfected technique of cooking.”
Which brings me to my entry. An Australian cafe culture inspired omelette – Free Range Eggs, Avocado, Juicy Tomatoes, Marinated Feta with Baby Spinach and Rocket Leaves.
It was an easy decision for me as these toppings are my usual go to when eating brekky out, however I tend to have them piled on top of a piece of toasted sourdough bread. They taste just as good, if not better served with an omelette. Simplicity at its best I say.
Omelette with Avocado, Marinated Feta, Tomatoes, Baby Spinach & Rocket
- Free Range Eggs 2
- White Pepper pinch
- Sea Salt pinch
- Milk 1 TB
- Butter knob
- Avocado half, sliced lengthways
- Grape or Cherry Tomatoes 4 halved
- Baby Spinach and/or Rocket handful
- Marinated Feta 2 TB
Using a fork gently whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
Melt the knob of butter in a small non stick frypan until it starts to bubble. Pour the egg mixture into the pan. Using a plastic spatula, gently push the egg mixture around so it’s evenly distributed. Cook for 1-2 mins or until it starts to firm up but still a little soft on top. The bottom should be lightly browned.
You can either place the filling on one half of the omelette in the pan and using the spatular, gently scrape around the sides & fold the other half over. Or slide the whole circular omelette from the pan and top it with the fillings as you serve. Season with salt & pepper.
So are you up for the challenge?
One winner will receive this amazing prize & VIP treatment below:
- A unique trophy to keep next to your frying pan to remind you of your global triumph
- Your recipe will be given the VIP Jamie treatment by his Food Team then styled and shot by one of Jamie’s trusted professional food photographers. It will get the same love as one of Jamie’s own recipes while it is developed, tested, styled and the process written up so it looks like it came straight from a cookery book
- Your recipe will appear on the front page of Jamieoliver.com, be featured as his ‘recipe of the day’ on his social channels
- Your recipe will also be printed in Jamie Magazine forever there for other omelette lovers around the world to make your creation
Competition closes on the 3rd of June 2016, so get cracking & remember to share your entry on social media with #FoodRevolution #foodiesagenda
For further info or to read T&C’s jump click here